Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Reality strike

Today my colleague found out that I´m a believer. First things she said was:

"This is where my faith ends: when a husband and a father of five kids is taken away, with no reason. He was a good person, so what would be a reason for him to die? It´s different if someone is of harm to others and troubles other peoples lifes, but why did he have to die? I don´t understand. What do you think, how can you believe, when something like this happens?"

She had lost her husband, years ago already, but still she did not understand why he had to go. I wonder if anyone who looses their dear ones too early, understands why. (And do we need to understand, that´s another question.)

Few days after he had passed away, there where some representatives of religion (she did not know if they where Jehovas witnesses or what) behind her door coming to meet her, holding a leaflet "How to live a happy life with your family?" and willing to share their faith. This woman, my colleague, got pretty upset, saying that their family had just lost a husband and a father, how can you come and tell how our family can be happy again?

In the beginning of my working shift I had prayed that God, help me share you with people who I meet, please, give me natural situations, you know I cannot just go and say "Jesus loves, yes He does", so please help me to show them who you really are. This is something I´ve been thinking a lot lately, how to share my faith with other people and I have struggled with it, because I am not at all a person who goes to shout on streets and share leaflets from door to door. (Yes, it might work for some, but...)

During our discussion I didn´t say that much, didn´t defend "those believers", didn´t offer advices, didn´t tell her all the answers I could have said. I simply listened, said a few words about God and my faith and continued listening. God only knows what He´s up to in her life..

All I´m saying is that sometimes people need more an ear to listen to them than a hand handing out a leaflet to tell them what to do.

"I don´t know why. God does."

No comments: